Key topic 1: TVET Governance
In recent years, expanding access to and improving the quality of vocational education and training have become key elements for Asian countries’ economic growth and social development strategies.
With the constitution of the AEC at the end of this year, the ten countries that make up the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have even more immediate reasons to give importance to human resources development and the promotion of a freer flow of labour.
In order to meet the requirements of the AEC and to compete in the single market, the governments need to adjust and strengthen their TVET systems. With regard to TVET governance, the countries face a number of overarching challenges such as:
- improving and assuring TVET quality
- Establishing conducive governance mechanisms across ministries and public and private stakeholders
- Financing TVET on a sustainable basis
- Ensuring conducive regulatory frameworks
- Developing adequate National Qualification Frameworks that promote the development, implementing and facilitating of transparent mechanisms for the assessment, certification, and recognition of skills and meet the requirements of the ASEAN Qualifications Reference Framework (AQRF)
- Creating TVET institutions that operate flexibly and cost-efficiently and are able to respond quickly to changes in the labour markets.
The TVET conference will address these challenges and provide a platform for sharing of experiences and policy dialogue of senior representatives of the respective ministries.
For further information, please find the Background Paper here.